School bells are ringing so gear up the kids for a great year with our easy DIY framed chalkboard. A few materials are all you need to create a fantastic way to help organize homework due dates, chores and activities.
First, scour garage sales or second-hand stores to repurpose an old window frame or large picture frame. Next, head to your local home improvement store. They’ll be happy to cut luan or masonite plywood as the underlayment.
Prep the surface with sandpaper. Select one of the many colors Hudson chalkboard paint offers and follow the instructions for applying two coats. When dry, rub white chalk over the entire surface and then erase—an old rag or t-shirt will do the trick.
Use wire brads to secure the chalkboard to the frame, attach hangers and your kids will have no trouble keeping track as the school year begins!
Our post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links within our content, Everyday Dishes & DIY will receive a commission. This won’t cost you anything additional and it helps to keep our content free!
DIY framed chalkboard instructions
- Clean off frame by sanding, wiping with damp cloth or painting frame.
- Cut underlayment for chalkboard backing slightly larger than frame. Sand underlayment to create smooth surface. Wipe with cloth to remove dust
- Select paint and read instructions on can for prepping and painting surfaces.
- Paint one layer of chalkboard paint, let dry.
- Repeat with 1-2 more coats of paint, letting dry between each coat.
- Lightly sand surface.
- Rub white chalk over entire surface to cure paint and make it easier to write on.
- Wipe chalk off with chalk eraser.
- Repeat if needed.
- Turn frame, finished side down, on hard surface.
- Place chalkboard surface finished side down centered on frame.
- Secure chalkboard to frame with wire brads (place brads in corners and about every 6").
- Attach hanger to back and enjoy!