Stylish kitchen dishtowels don’t have to be expensive. Use flour sack towels to create your own stamped dishtowels.
Flour sack towels are lint free and dry quickly and are perfect for the kitchen or bathroom. Buy them in bulk and you will have enough to make as gifts for friends and you’ll still be able to keep a few for yourself!
Be sure to wash and dry towels in advance and iron lightly, if needed. Use butcher paper or newspaper to cover a large table (to protect from paint spills) and get crafting!
The following tips will come in handy when creating these customized towels.
- Use paper towels under the flour sacks to prevent your work surface from bleeding paint.
- Reuse Greek yogurt cups as paint bowls.
- Apply a light coat of paint to your brush so stamp details show up clearly on the towel.
If you opt to use multiple colors, use a new foam brush or brayer (a hand roller used in printmaking) and paint stamp surface for each color.
Stamped dishtowels make great hostess gifts during the holidays, shower and housewarming gifts. They’re useful, personal and inexpensive!
This article contains affiliate links for products you will need to make this project.
DIY hand-stamped dishtowels instructions
- DIY stamp printable
- 12″ x 18″ x 5mm sheet of craft foam
- precision knife
- #2 pencil
- Download the stamp printable and open with Adobe Reader.
- Trace image with #2 pencil on hard surface.
- Turn printable image side down on foam.
- Rub firmly with finger nail to transfer pencil image.
- Cut out carefully with a precision knife, keeping knife vertical to make a straight cut in foam.
- Measure and cut a 2″ foam square.
- Hot glue stamp image centered on square. Press firmly, let dry. Repeat for other stamps.
- Wash and dry flour sack towels as directed and iron if needed.
- Lay flour sack towels on a hard, flat surface. Place paper towels underneath to prevent paint from bleeding through.
- Pour paint into small bowls. Lightly dip brush into paint and wipe off excess paint on side of bowl or paper towel (you only want a light coat of paint on brush so stamp details will show).
- Brush stamp surface with paint until covered and firmly press stamp on towel.
- Let the towels dry flat 15-20 minutes then iron on a low setting with paper towel or cloth between iron and painted towel to give it a crisp, finished look.