Try a modern approach to the traditional holiday wreath with our inexpensive DIY yarn wreath. It’s so easy the kids will want to make their own version!
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
How to make a DIY yarn wreath
DIY yarn wreath instructions
- Wrap yarn around wreath one time and secure with knot.
- Wrap entire wreath with yarn until foam is completely covered. Secure with knot when finished and trim excess strings if needed.
- Cut foam balls in half with sharp knife.
- Place flat side down on felt and trace with a permanent marker.
- Cut out felt (backing balls with felt helps secure the toothpicks and mask imperfections) and drizzle hot glue onto felt circles.
- Attach felt to flat side of each ball, let dry.
- Cut toothpicks in half with scissors or yard clippers.
- Poke toothpick, cut end first, into round part of Styrofoam balls.
- Cover densely with toothpicks (keep a little space between toothpicks so foam keeps them in place). Repeat for all balls.
- Place balls, toothpick side up, in bottom of cardboard box or on drop cloth.
- Spray paint, let dry. Apply 2nd coat of paint.
- Dust with glitter while paint is still wet, rotating ball for even coverage and let dry.
- Arrange balls on wreath and hot glue in place.
- Add decorative floral stem pieces.
- Cut ribbon to desired length and loop around top of wreath.
- Hot glue cut ends of ribbon together in back or tie bow.