Rustic wood signs with quotations or sayings are all the rage, but they are so expensive to buy! It’s actually a very easy craft to do and it’s cheap, too! Our crafter, Audrey, created this DIY printable to wood transfer sign with moms in mind. And if you are anything like us, you’ll love to have this sign hanging in the kitchen as a gentle reminder for the family in the mornings!
This is the perfect project to have your husband or kids make for you this mother’s day. You can simply print out the PDF on a laser printer and create the sign. But if you are well versed in Photoshop or another design program, feel free to come up with a phrase or saying that is perfectly suited for you so you get a gift that is exactly what you want. Just be sure to reverse the type before printing so it reads the right way when you transfer it to the wood.
We loved this sign so much we made one for the office. Who doesn’t need a cup of joe to get going in the morning?!
how to make this printable to wood transfer craft
- wood transfer printable
- laser printer or a quick copy center
- wood board or plaque (we used a 12" x 12" piece of wood)
- acrylic paint (light color)
- coarse sandpaper
- eye hooks
- First, download the wood transfer printable and open in Adobe Reader.
- Print out the PDF from a laser printer. This project won’t work if you print it out on an inkjet printer. If you don’t have a laser printer, send the PDF to a quick copy center like Kinko’s. It will definitely be worth the effort!
- Apply a thin coat of light colored acrylic paint (we used white) and allow it to dry fully. Once it’s dry, sand the edges of the board for a distressed look.
- Place the printout face down on the wood until you’re satisfied with its placement then tape it in place.
- Plug in your iron and set it to the hottest setting but make sure the steam setting is off.
- Iron the printout onto the piece of wood, pressing firmly for about 3 minutes. Gently lift up 1 corner of the printout to see how it’s transferring to the wood. Continue pressing until you’re pleased with the results. Once you’re satisfied with the transfer, peel off the printout.
- Make 2 indentions on the top edge of the wood using the hammer and awl. Screw the 2 eyehooks into the indentations and attach the chain.
- Wrap up for your mom and gift or immediately display and enjoy.