When the weather starts to turn cold and all you can do is think of a warm drink, our cinnamon spiced hot toddy cocktail will do the trick.
Made with cinnamon tea and your favorite brand of spiced rum, this cold-weather cocktail will feel toasty in your hands and spark a welcome rise in your body temperature.
Hot toddies are typically made from liquor and water with sugar and spices, served hot. Using a tea bag to create our spiced hot toddy recipe is a time-saving trick to serve this cocktail in a group or after a long day.
Sir Robert Bruce Lockhart, a British journalist, author, secret agent, and diplomat once said, “As a cure for the cold, take your toddy to bed, put one bowler hat at the foot, and drink until you see two.” Salud!
Cinnamon Spiced Hot Toddy Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 2 chai tea bags, or cinnamon tea bags
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, and half-and-half
- 4 oz spiced rum
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- whipped cream, optional, dairy or dairy-free
- Bring water to a boil. Add tea bags and let steep 2 minutes.
- Heat cream until bubbles start to form.
- Pour tea into individual cups then pour in heavy cream or half-and-half and stir in spiced rum.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar together in small bowl then add to the drink.
- Top with whipped cream and enjoy!
Some hot toddy versions add cider or coffee, so don’t be afraid to experiment with alternate flavors!