What is better on a bitterly cold winter’s day than a hot buttered rum cocktail? A snuggly blanket and a fireplace, perhaps. This delicious cocktail is so easy to make and your guests will be pleasantly surprised when they sip on this.
If rum isn’t your choice spirit then swap it out for your favorite liquor when throwing together the alcohol-infused whipped cream. It’s so good you might end up eating by the spoonful instead!
Never heard of a hot buttered rum cocktail before? Turns out this decadent mix of sugar, spices, rum and butter actually dates back to Colonial days. So don’t think of it as a dangerously delicious indulgence. Instead, think of it as a history lesson in a mug!
Hot Buttered Rum Cocktail recipe
- rum-infused whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp dark rum
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- hot buttered rum
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups dark rum
- Measure out the heavy whipping cream and put it in the freezer for 10 minutes to get it very cold. Stir together the vanilla and rum and chill in the freezer.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks begin to form, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Add powdered sugar and rum mixture and whip an additional 2 minutes. Put in the fridge until ready to assemble cocktails.
- In a stand mixer, blend the butter, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until completely smooth.
- Add 1½ Tbsp of butter mixture on bottom of drinking glasses. Add approx. 4 oz of dark rum and top glass off with hot water. Stir until butter mixture is mostly dissolved.
- Top with chilled rum-infused whipped cream and serve immediately. Cheers!
For added pizazz, sprinkle your cocktails with ground cinnamon and garnish with a cinnamon stick and star of anise!