Go ahead—play with your food! Your friends will love this Christmas tree cheese ball recipe. It’s easy to make and a festive addition to the buffet table.
You’ll wow your family and friends with a yuletide-inspired, savory snack. With a few simple ingredients like cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onion and spice, you’ll be off to find the mistletoe in no time at all.
We used cheddar cheese, but you can use any of your favorite varieties. While we opted for sliced almonds and red bell pepper for the decorations, don’t be afraid to get creative with your own favorite ingredients.
Christmas tree cheese ball recipe
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp pesto
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced
- Add the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, pesto, and red pepper flakes to a food processor. Blend until it’s combined but still has a bit of texture. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Form half of cheese into the shape of a Christmas tree, place on plate and refrigerate. Repeat with remaining cheese. Chop the pepper, being careful to make them as uniform as possible (they will become the ornaments on each tree). Remove a cheese tree from the refrigerator and lightly press chopped cilantro into the cheese, completely covering the cheese. Use the almond slices to create garland and press in the pepper ‘ornaments.’ Place on a cheese board or serving platter. Repeat with second cheese tree.
- Serve with crackers or pita chips. Play ball!
If you love this recipe for the holidays, try our football cheese ball recipe come Super Bowl season!