Because our cocktail meatballs have become such a party staple, we decided to turn them into creepy Halloween meatball eyes for the costume party! They’re easy to prepare, and are, like, ‘hover over the buffet table’ delicious.
This recipe is all about ease, so you can focus on perfecting your Halloween getup and décor. We’re all about festive fun foods that don’t require a huge amount of effort.
Achieve ultimate success when you first combine the wet ingredients then add the breadcrumbs last. This will keep your spooky Halloween meatball eyes from becoming too dense.
Halloween Meatball Eyes Recipe
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1/2 cup onion, finely minced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp beef bouillon, or salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 12 oz bottle chili sauce
- 14 oz can jellied cranberry sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- mozzarella, sliced
- black olives, sliced
- candy googly eyes
- red food coloring
- Place rack in center of oven then preheat to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, lightly coat baking sheet with non-stick spray then set aside. Place ground beef into a large mixing bowl, add onion then set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, bouillon, pepper and Worcestershire sauce until the eggs are well beaten and the bouillon has dissolved. Pour the liquid mixture over the beef then mix until combined.
- Add breadcrumbs into the beef mixture then mix until they are evenly distributed and the mixture is thick.
- Roll the meat into golf ball-sized meatballs, place onto prepared baking sheet then bake 10 minutes. For uniform balls, you can use a medium cookie scoop or 2 Tbsp per meatball.
- While the meatballs bake, combine chili sauce, cranberry sauce, minced garlic and crushed red pepper into a large skillet, stirring until combined. Cook on low heat then let sauce begin heating.
- Next cut circles out of the sliced mozzarella using a 1" cutter. When the meatballs have baked for 10 minutes, place a circle of cheese on top of each to create the whites of the eyes. Return to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from oven then transfer them to the pan, leaving behind any fat that has accumulated. Place a thin slice of black olive in the center of each ‘eye,’ then add a small googly eye to the center of each. Dip a toothpick in red food coloring and trace lines in the eyes to make them bloodshot. Get as gory as you dare!
- Nestle the eyeballs in the low simmering sauce for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
You can find edible googly eyes in the baking section at your local supermarket!