Our whoopie pie cake is such a fan favorite, we decided to give the recipe a frightful makeover for Halloween! Halloween whoopie pies are gonna be smash hits at the costume party.
The cookies come together under an hour and the rest is, well, a piece of cake. Assembly is a fun activity for the kids and adult friends too. If you’re prepping these little guys in advance, arrange them on a cookie sheet covered with plastic wrap then pop ‘em in the fridge or freezer.
Halloween Whoopie Pies Recipe
- 1 recipe Whoopie Pie Cake
- red food coloring
- mini marshmallows
- almonds, slivered
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare Whoopee Pie Cake and filling as directed except for how you bake the batter. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of batter onto a greased cookie sheet for each cookie, spaced 3" apart. Bake 8–10 minutes until cookies leave only a few crumbs on tester. Remove from oven a let cool completely.
- Place ½ cup filling in a small bowl, then add several drops red food coloring and mix well. If you would like the ‘gums’ to be a bit redder, add more drops and mix again. Place mixture in a pastry bag with a small plain tip or a plastic storage bag with a tiny hole cut from one corner.
- Turn one cookie over with flat side up. Starting halfway back on one side of the cookie, pipe a thin line of red filling along the edge of the cookie until you reach the other side. (It will look like the letter U). Repeat with a second cookie.
- Place 4 mini marshmallows in the filling along the front. Now cut two marshmallows in half along their equators. Place two halves on the right side and two halves on the left side.
- Using a small spatula, spread some of the white filling behind the ‘teeth’ until there is no cookie showing. Turn the second cookie over and place on top of the filled cookie. You now have a whoopee pie with teeth and gums!
- Take two pointed almond slivers and place them on either side of the front two teeth. Now you have a Halloween Whoopie Pie. Scary!!
Get-heavy handed with the food coloring to achieve that extra red hue for the filling.