Heart-shaped Napoleons are the perfect light dessert for your Valentine’s Day dinner. Our recipe is wholesome and homemade!
This recipe makes nearly everything from scratch. But, if you want to make this dessert super fast and easy, you can use a large box of store-bought pudding and whipped topping for the filling along with pre-made chocolate frosting for the decoration.
Even when it’s ready-made, puff pastry makes any dessert look and taste gourmet. These Napoleons are definitely made to impress!
Now, spread the love and enjoy!
Heart-Shaped Napoleons Recipe
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into small chunks
- 2 cups whipped cream, or whipped topping
- 1 package puff pastry, 2 sheets
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp honey
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a small saucepan, off the heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt and egg yolks until a thick paste forms. Add milk and whisk until the paste is completely dissolved. Make extra sure that everything is dissolved before heating.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and slowly bring pudding to a bubble, stirring constantly with a whisk. Once the first bubble pops on the surface of the pudding, reduce heat to low and continue whisking for exactly 1 minute and then remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and butter until completely melted and incorporated then transfer into a clean bowl. Cover with plastic wrap so that the wrap is touching the pudding. This will prevent a thick skin from forming on the surface of the pudding. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until completely cooled.
- While the pudding is cooling, preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold each sheet of puff pastry and pinch together seams where dough was folded. Dip heart-shaped cookie cutter into flour and cut as many as possible out of each sheet.
- Transfer hearts to prepared baking sheet and bake for 13–15 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Remove cooled pudding from refrigerator and whisk to soften and remove any lumps. Fold whipped cream (or whipped topping) into pudding and set aside.
- Add chocolate chips, ¼ cup heavy cream and honey to a microwave-safe bowl and heat for about 30 seconds. Stir to melt chocolate and combine thoroughly. Return to microwave for 10 seconds at a time as necessary just to melt chocolate. Stir ingredients into a smooth, glossy glaze.
- Use a sharp knife to split the puff pastry hearts in half horizontally then fill bottom half with pudding. Place the top of puff pastry over pudding and dust lightly with powdered sugar. Drizzle chocolate glaze over the hearts and serve or refrigerate up to 1 hour until ready to serve.
You can add fresh fruit like berries or additional sauce—caramel, anyone?—or whatever kind of extras your cute cupid desires.