The next time you crave something spicy and a little different, try making this chipotle shrimp appetizer. You’ll need to set aside time for the shrimp to marinate but once they’re ready, they only take a few minutes to cook.
Chipotle is a smoked and dried jalapeno pepper that envelops the shrimp with a spicy taste tempered only by cool avocados, lime juice and cherry tomatoes. Assemble on tortilla chip scoops that are easy to hold, and you won’t spill a drop of this delicious hors d’oeuvre.
If your local grocery’s had a run on these scoops, use flat round tortilla chips for a mini tostada! Whether making them just for your family or feeding a crowd, you’ll have more than enough to go around.
Chipotle Shrimp Appetizer Recipe
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 lb shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined (size 51-60)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- juice of 1/2 of a lime, reserve other half for avocadoes
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados, pitted and cubed
- juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 10 - 12 cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bag tortilla chip ‘scoops’
- Mix olive oil, chili powder, salt, garlic powder and brown sugar in a medium-sized bowl until completely combined. Add the peeled and deveined shrimp then stir to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1−4 hours.
- After shrimp has marinated for at least 1 hour, remove from the fridge and drain any excess liquid from the bowl.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 Tbsp oil to the pan. When oil is hot, carefully add the shrimp and cook just until it is cooked through—this’ll take about 1−2 minutes per side, depending on the size of the shrimp.
- When the shrimp is cooked through, transfer it to a medium-sized mixing bowl and squeeze the juice of ½ a lime over the top. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro, stir to combine then set aside to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, stir together avocado, lime juice and tomatoes then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place approximately 2 tsp of the avocado mixture into each tortilla chip ‘scoop’ and top with a chipotle lime shrimp. Serve immediately and enjoy!
This recipe is also excellent wrapped up in a flour tortilla!