Try this recipe for baked chili cheese fries complete with homemade chili—it’s easy to make and so delicious!
Making the chili doesn’t take much time but we did cut a few corners. We used a bag of French fries purchased from the frozen food section of the supermarket! They taste great and save you from the hassle of having cut your own fries. If you have the time and want to make your own fries, try our recipe for crispy baked French fries!
When making the chili, be sure to finely dice the veggies and break up the ground beef into small chunks so the finished product has a fine texture—making it a perfect topping for fries or chili dogs!
Baked Chili Cheese Fries Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 5 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 28 oz can tomatoes, crushed
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bag French fries, frozen
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- green onion, and sour cream for garnish
- Place a medium-sized pot or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook for 6–8 minutes, breaking it down into the smallest pieces possible, until completely browned and no pink remains. Drain grease then return to heat.
- Add onion and Anaheim pepper. Cook 2–3 minutes, just until the onion begins to soften. Add chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and cumin, stir to combine then cook for an additional minute just to toast the spices a bit.
- Add tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce, stirring to incorporate. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for about an hour, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- After chili has been simmering for 25–30 minutes, bake French fries as directed on package. When the fries are nice and crispy, remove from oven then sprinkle with a generous amount of cheese. Return to oven for 3–4 minutes, just until cheese is melted, and then transfer cheesy fries to a serving plate.
- Season chili with salt and pepper then ladle over the cheese fries. Garnish with green onion and a dollop of sour cream. Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you want to kick up the spice, replace the Anaheim pepper with jalapeño!