It’s always a good day when you can have dessert for breakfast! This baked blueberry custard recipe can be served at any temperature and at any time of day—breakfast or dessert.
We were inspired to turn the traditional French dessert known as ‘clafoutis’ when made with cherries, into an everyday breakfast dessert. It may sound fancy, but it is really just mixing up crepe batter, adding fruit and baking!
Blueberry Custard Recipe
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half, or whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 tsp fruit flavored liqueur
- zest of half a lemon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Grease a 9" pie dish with 1 Tbsp of unsalted butter and set aside.
- Add the sugar, eggs, half-and-half or whipping cream, vanilla, liqueur, lemon zest and salt to a blender and pulse several times to blend the ingredients completely. Add the flour and blend on low speed for 1 full minute to form a silky-smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish then scatter the blueberries evenly across the top of the batter. Place the dish or skillet onto a rimmed baking sheet (just in case it flows over) and bake for 35-40 minutes. The edges will be golden-brown and the center will be firm to the touch or just very slightly wobbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before dusting with powdered sugar and serving.
You can use any berry your heart desires to fill this recipe. Try strawberries or blackberries!