Skip the hassle of breading and frying chicken to make chicken Parmesan. You can get all the same, great flavors by making a casserole that takes only five minutes to prepare!
Combining Italian seasoned breadcrumbs with oil or butter gives it the same tasty, crispy topping you expect from this classic dish. No dredging necessary!
You’ll find that dried spices, your favorite brand of marinara sauce and packaged shredded cheese are real time-savers. Of course, you can always cook and dice chicken ahead of time to have it ready whenever you are.
Chicken Parmesan Casserole Recipe
- 1 lbs chicken breast, shredded or finely-diced, cooked
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, Italian seasoned
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, or unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat a shallow 2-qt baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange cooked chicken into an even layer in the bottom of the dish then sprinkle with dried basil and oregano.
- Pour marinara sauce over chicken and spread evenly. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and mozzarella over marinara sauce and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add breadcrumbs, olive oil or melted butter and salt. Stir until breadcrumbs are evenly moistened then scatter the mixture over top of casserole. Bake 25–30 minutes until top is nicely browned, cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow it to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Don’t waste any sauce that may have accumulated in the bottom of the casserole! Spoon over pasta to serve as a side dish.