Combining chocolate, peanut butter, and even more chocolate—this recipe for chocolate-covered peanut butter footballs will earn you a touchdown with any football (or dessert) fan.
Start by hand-mixing the peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar to form a smooth-yet-stiff consistency. Shape dough into small balls about the size of a teaspoon and place between two chocolate kisses, forming a football-like shape. Put a candy stick into the peanut butter center of each football and set aside.
Melt your candy coating according to the package instructions and fully dip the footballs into the chocolate coating. Place toothpicks into a styrofoam block to allow your footballs to harden.
After the chocolate coating is set, ice white laces onto each one using gel icing. Then it’s game time!
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Footballs Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 lb powdered sugar, sifted
- 12 oz Ghirardelli chocolate dark melting wafers
- 1 pkg chocolate kisses
- white gel icing
- Hand mix peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar to form a smooth-yet-stiff consistency then set aside.
- Unwrap 48 chocolate kisses and place 1 tsp of peanut butter mixture between two candies. Press another two tsp of dough into the palm of your hand, then press the two kisses into the dough. Set aside (it will be half-covered). Press another two tsp of dough into your palm and press the uncovered half of the kisses into the dough. Lightly roll the candy on a flat surface, then pinch off the ends to make a football shape. When finished none of the the chocolate will show. Repeat until you have assembled 24 footballs.
- Melt dark chocolate wafers according to the package instructions.
- Press a toothpick or candy stick into the center of each football and dip in melted chocolate. Transfer the footballs to a parchment-lined baking sheet to harden. Add the laces using white gel icing when chocolate is hardened. Use a toothpick to shape the laces and clean up any stray icing. Game time!
These are an awesome decorative food for your tailgating spread!