Who doesn’t like monkey bread? Sweet yeast dough topped with a cinnamon brown sugar glaze is always a delicious treat, but we’ve added our own twist to this favorite recipe.
We’ve piped a hint of cinnamon cream cheese into our rolls to add an even richer flavor!
Our cream cheese stuffed monkey bread does take a bit of time to make, as yeast breads require dough to rise and be punched down, but it is super simple. If you really can’t wait, you can always “cheat” by substituting frozen yeast rolls.
Either way, you’ll have a seriously great, melt in your mouth breakfast treat!
Stuffed Monkey Bread Recipe
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup water, warm, 110-115 degrees
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk, warm
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Mix yeast, water and sugar in mixing bowl and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine 2 cups flour and sugar in small bowl and add remaining flour to separate small bowl, set aside.
- Mix flour and sugar mixture into yeast and water using dough hook attachment.
- Crack eggs into measuring cup, add water to eggs until measurement reaches ½ cup.
- Warm milk, butter and salt in microwave safe bowl.
- Slowly pour milk, butter, salt and eggs into mixing bowl with yeast mixture.
- Add half of remaining flour to mixture, once dough starts to form.
- Dust flour on clean workable surface and knead in remaining flour, just until dough is smooth enough to handle–dough should just start to feel elastic.
- Drizzle small about of oil in medium bowl and place dough in bowl; roll to coat in oil. Cover dough with towel and let rest in warm place for 1-2 hours, or until dough has doubled its size. Punch risen dough down then roll into a ball. Separate dough into 18-20 dough balls.
- Place ½ cup sugar and cinnamon in large resealable bag and add ¼ of the dough balls. Shake to coat balls and repeat until all dough is dusted in sugar.
- Cream all ingredients for filling together and place in piping bag. Grease Bundt cake pan and place 9-10 dough balls in bottom of pan and poke holes in each dough ball. Pipe in small amount of filling into each roll. Place the rest of the dough balls in Bundt pan. Cover with towel again and let rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter and whisk in brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour glaze over rolls and bake 20-25 minutes.
- Turn monkey bread over onto platter and serve while still warm.
Let your dough rise overnight and finish up in the morning. The sweet aroma of fresh baked bread will get everyone out of bed quickly!