Our crispy southwest chicken wrap recipe is so customizable. Add green chiles or Spanish rice, you could even try shredded pork or ground beef. It’s all about what tastes good to you!
There are a few tricks to a perfectly wrapped burrito. Number one: Make sure that you don’t over-stuff the tortilla. Start with a warm tortilla, line your ingredients near the middle, and then fold over the side that’s closest to you first. Then, fold in the short sides and finish with one final roll of the entire burrito.
We love grilling the tortilla once the burritos are put together because it gives a yummy flavor and crunch to the wraps.
Crispy Southwest Chicken Wrap Recipe
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp plus 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup cilantro, packed
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 flour tortillas, burrito size
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, or Monterey jack or pepper jack cheese, shredded
- sour cream, optional
- unsalted butter, or oil for grilling
- Preheat grill to medium or oven to 350 degrees. Brush each chicken breast with a small amount of oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of taco seasoning over each chicken breast, coating both sides. Grill or bake chicken until completely cooked, about 10 minutes on the grill or 20 minutes in the oven.
- While the chicken is cooking, stir together rice, black beans, green onions, bell pepper, tomato, corn, cilantro and lime juice in a medium-sized bowl. Add ½ tsp taco seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- When chicken is cooked, allow it to cool slightly and then shred or dice into ½" pieces. Fill each tortilla with about ¼ cup of shredded cheese, diced chicken, approximately ½ cup of veggie rice filling and a few dollops of sour cream. Wrap burrito-style and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat and then brush bottom with a small amount of butter. Place wraps into skillet, flaps facing down. Brush top of each wrap with a light amount of oil or butter and cook until bottom turns golden-brown and crispy. Flip wraps and cook on opposite side until golden and crispy. Remove from skillet and repeat with remaining wraps.
Make your own taco seasoning by mixing together equal parts chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and sea salt.