If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious side dish that won’t take too much time, try our recipe for Italian peas. They’re savory and slightly garlicky…so, pretty much perfect!
This dish is especially easy to cook because it’s made with ready-to-use frozen peas. In fact, peas are one of the only vegetables that we think actually taste better frozen than fresh.
Really, petite peas don’t even need to be ‘cooked.’ Once they’re defrosted, all you need to do is warm them and they will come out perfectly plump, tender and juicy. Enjoy!
Parmesan Italian Peas Recipe
- 1 lb bag petite peas, frozen
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, or Romano, grated
- Defrost peas by placing in a colander and running warm water over them until they are completely defrosted and tender, then set aside to allow them to drain.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and cook until tender and translucent, about 3–4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 additional minute.
- Add defrosted peas and any water that is still clinging to them. Season lightly with salt and pepper, keeping in mind that the cheese will have a fair amount of salt as well.
- Continue cooking just until the peas are hot, about 3–4 minutes. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, stir to combine, then transfer to a serving dish and enjoy.
Serve as a side or toss with your favorite pasta dish!