What is einkorn flour?
Watch our video and find out.
Change your whole world with our mind-blowing whole wheat bread recipe. It’s made with einkorn, so it has a nice nutty flavor and it’s easy on the tummy for those who are gluten sensitive.
Once you go einkorn, you’ll never go back. This loaf makes for great sandwich bread, but you haven’t lived till you’ve had a slice of it toasted with butter and a sprinkle of sea salt—it’s divine!
Einkorn is helpful for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances and not intended for those with celiac disease.
Whole Wheat Einkorn Bread Recipe
- 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 1/4 cups water, warm
- 3 cups all-purpose einkorn flour, 13.5 oz
- 3 cups whole wheat einkorn flour, 13.5 oz
- 4 tsp salt
- unsalted butter
- 4 tsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar and warm water. Let stand for 10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Combine flours and salt by hand then stir until it all begins to come together. Turn dough out onto a floured counter, flour your hands then knead until you have a smooth dough (only about 2 minutes). Let dough rest for 10 minutes. The dough will become stickier while it rests because it’s absorbing the liquid. NOTE: We strongly recommend you weigh your einkorn flour, if possible, for better accuracy. If you don’t have a scale, fluff the flour with a fork before you measure it in a cup.
- After the dough has rested, knead for another minute or two. Don’t be tempted to over flour the dough at this point. It should remain sticky.
- Form dough into a ball, then place in a large oven-proof glass bowl heavily coated with butter. Add 4 tsp of olive oil to the bottom of the bowl then toss to coat both sides in oil. Cover with a clean towel and let rise (about 40 minutes). It does not need to double in size like traditional dough.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. When the oven is hot, place the bowl in the oven and bake for 35 minutes. The bread will sound hollow when tapped and be at an internal temperature of 200 degrees. Invert the bread onto a rack and let it cool.
- Slice and use for your favorite sandwich.
Remember—einkorn flour dough isn’t meant to be overworked. It should be a bit sticky!