Because the only thing better than a cheese ball is a football-shaped cheese ball. Our simple football cheese ball recipe is perfect for sharing with friends during the big game!
Really wow your fellow football fans when you show up with this delectable appetizer. It’s just some cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onion and a little bit of spices, shape it into a football then BAM—you have a spread-worthy treat for the books!
We used cheddar cheese but really you could use any cheese for this recipe. Maybe try a mild white cheddar or really get them guzzling down those beers and use a pepper jack! It’s so versatile.
Football Cheese Ball Recipe
- 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp horseradish, prepared
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 oz pecan pieces
- Add the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes to a food processor. Blend until combined but still has a bit of texture. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Place 2 Tbsp of cheese mixture in a resealable bag and set aside.
- Form remaining cheese into the shape of a football on a serving plate. Press the pecan pieces into the sides of the cheese, completely covering the cheese. Cut a small hole in the corner of the resealable bag containing the 2 Tbsp of cheese. Pipe "laces" onto the top of the "football."
- Serve with crackers or pita chips. Play ball!
Prepared horseradish is different from horseradish sauce. If you use the sauce instead, your cheese ball will be softer and have less kick.