The vegetables in our chicken meatloaf—onions, bell peppers and mushrooms—make this recipe moist and delicious. Plus, they’re all minced, so your kids won’t even notice the good-for-you veggies!
We used Italian breadcrumbs but you can use plain breadcrumbs, too. Just add in double the dried herbs that the recipe calls for and you’ll be set.
Also, the meat mixture will be a little loose before baking. If it’s not sticking together enough to make a loaf, you’ll want to toss more breadcrumbs into the mix.
Can’t find ground chicken? Chop chicken breasts in the food processor until they’re the right texture! Ground turkey also tastes just as great in this dish. Don’t forgot the cheesy mashed potatoes to go on the side!
Homemade Chicken Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 - 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs, Italian-style
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and seeded
- 10 medium-sized button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray broiler pan or baking sheet with cooking spray. Place ground chicken, breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mince onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic very finely or pulse in food processor until small but not pureed.
- Add minced vegetables, beaten egg, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes to the bowl containing ground chicken. Mix by hand until completely combined.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and shape into a loaf about 5" wide and 2" high. Bake 30 minutes then remove from oven. Spoon marinara sauce over meatloaf and spread to edges.
- Return to oven for additional 25–30 minutes until cooked through or internal temperature registers 160 degrees on meat thermometer. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Italian blend cheese. Allow meatloaf to rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
If you want to make it spicy, use jalapeños instead of green bell peppers!