You only need 5 simple (and common) household ingredients to make our world’s best double pie crust recipe. It’s easy to make and if you’re like us, a staple pie crust recipe is essential for special occasions and holidays.
We’ve broken down every step and tested the recipe repeatedly so you achieve winning results every time. The ingredients are prepared in just 10 minutes, with a resting time of another 10 minutes. The toughest part is trying to decide on the filling.
The dough will be sticky, so we placed each dough ball between two pieces of wax paper then rolled it out using a rolling pin. The wax paper also helps to transfer the dough to a pie dish without causing any tears.
Homemade Double Pie Crust Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water, cold
- Add flour, sugar and salt to a medium-sized mixing bowl then stir to combine.
- Add oil and water then mix together until dough forms (the dough should feel oily). Divide dough in half then shape into 2 balls. Wrap in plastic wrap then allow to rest at least 5-10 minutes.
- Roll out one dough ball between 2 sheets of wax paper (use masking tape to secure wax paper to your counter to keep it from sliding around). Once the dough’s rolled, simply place it in the pie pan and use a butter knife to trim off excess dough that hangs over the edge. Refrigerate until ready to fill and bake.
- Fill the raw pie crust with your favorite filling then repeat step 3 with the second dough ball. Lay flattened dough over the top of the filling, crimping or fluting the edges and trimming off excess dough. Be sure to cut slits in the top crust to let steam escape during baking.
- Bake your pie according to the recipe directions. Serve with plenty of whipped cream (dairy or dairy-free) and enjoy!
Our double pie crust isn’t just for sweet fillings—it works for the savory fare as well.