This homemade guacamole recipe is a great snack, appetizer for entertaining guests or as a topping for your favorite meals. We use guac on anything from chips and veggies to sandwiches, salads and pretty much anything else where there is a complementary flavor to be had.
When you’re shopping for avocados, just remember that color alone is not an indicator of ripeness. Test by pressing the exterior gently—it should give slightly under light pressure but not feel mushy. If there is no yield, then it’s not ripe yet.
Once you’ve completed making this recipe, press parchment, wax paper or plastic wrap down directly in contact with the guacamole to completely seal in from the air. This will prevent it from turning brown. If you happened to save an avocado seed, leaving it in the bowl with the mixture will also do the trick!
Homemade Guacamole Recipe
- 5 avocados, ripe
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion, grated
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- First, cut each avocado open lengthwise and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh from the peel, add it to a medium-sized mixing bowl then discard the peel and pits.
- Mash the avocadoes with a fork until they reach the consistency that you prefer—some people like a perfectly smooth guacamole while others prefer a super chunky version—it’s entirely up to you!
- Squeeze lime juice over the avocadoes to coat them but don’t start stirring just yet. The lime juice will keep the avocadoes from turning brown while you’re preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Sprinkle the cilantro, garlic powder and chili powder over the top of the avocadoes. Add the grated onion and diced tomato then stir to completely combine all of the ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper then give it a taste. If you like the way it tastes, cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place the bowl into the fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- When you’re ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and transfer the guacamole to a serving dish. Serve with crispy chips or heap it on your favorite tacos. Enjoy!
There are a zillion ways to incorporate guacamole into breakfast, lunch and dinner! Share your ideas with us below!