Canned pizza dough just doesn’t cut it when it comes to pizza connoisseurs. Make your own with homemade pizza dough that’s sure to please all the pizza lovers in the house.
An electric mixer and a dough hook make this recipe quick and easy to prepare. It can be made by hand but you’ll need a little muscle to knead the dough vigorously for approximately 15 minutes. Whatever method you choose, make sure it’s smooth and elastic when finished.
Dough made with active yeast requires time to ‘proof’ or rise at room temperature. The process got its name from the fact that dough that rises proves the yeast is active. For this recipe, it’ll need 45 minutes to rise but that’s your chance to get something else done while you’re waiting.
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups water, lukewarm, 100 to 110 degrees
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for rolling
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Combine the water, yeast, sugar and olive oil in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Add 3½ cups flour and the salt. Mix on low speed until the dough begins to come together then add only enough additional flour to make soft dough.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and allow the machine to knead the dough approximately 6 minutes—the dough should be smooth and elastic but still soft and no longer sticking to the sides of the bowl. If the dough is still sticky, continue adding flour until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl and leaves the inside of the bowl clean.
- Transfer the kneaded dough to a medium-sized mixing bowl that has been coated with a small amount of olive oil. Turn the dough over several times to coat with oil then cover the bowl with a sheet of plastic wrap. If you’re using the dough immediately, allow the dough to rest at room temperature for 45 minutes. Otherwise, you may refrigerate the dough overnight or freeze the dough in a plastic freezer bag for up to 1 month.
- Once the dough has rested for about 45 minutes, roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface. This amount of dough can be rolled into a single large pizza or divided into individual serving sizes. Roll it to approximately ¼" thick or slightly thinner as desired.
- Transfer the dough to a baking sheet and top with all of your favorite pizza toppings.
You can make dough by hand but a mixer and dough hook make the job so much easier!