Layers are the name of the game when it comes to making this sinfully yummy homemade Snickers bars recipe. You’ll need to set aside some time for each layer to freeze, but it’s an easy fun food that’s definitely worth the wait!
A base layer of melted chocolate chips, a sweet nougat layer of marshmallows, peanut butter and salted cocktail peanuts combined with a third layer of chewy caramels and heavy cream topped with crunchy pretzels make for the ultimate candy bar extravaganza.
Throw your diet out the window just this one time. You’ll find it tough to resist even one bite-sized piece!
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Homemade Snickers Bars Recipe
- chocolate layer
- 12 oz Ghirardelli chocolate dark melting wafers
- nougat layer
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup marshmallow crème
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups salted peanuts
- caramel layer
- 8 oz chewy caramels, unwrapped
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup pretzels sticks, lightly crushed
- Line an 8" square baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place half of the melting wafers (6 oz) into a microwave-safe bowl and reserve the remainder for the top. Heat the chips just enough to barely melt them—approximately 40 seconds (be sure to stir in 20-second intervals). Spread the entire amount of melted chocolate evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish then place the pan in the freezer to set.
- While the chocolate is chilling, prepare the nougat by adding the butter, sugar and milk to a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook at a rapid simmer for 5 minutes. Add marshmallow crème and peanut butter, stir until completely combined then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the peanuts. Retrieve the dish from the freezer, spread the nougat in an even layer over the chocolate then return the dish to the freezer.
- Rinse and dry the saucepan and melt the caramels together with the heavy cream and salt over low heat until completely melted and smooth. Remove the pan from the freezer, spread the caramel over the nougat in an even layer then return the pan to the freezer once again.
- Melt the remaining wafers in the microwave using the same method as before. Spread the chocolate over the caramel and top with crushed pretzels while the chocolate is still wet. Press the pretzels down into the chocolate to adhere them to the top of the bars. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill completely—approximately 2 hours.
- Remove the bars from the pan and allow them to soften at room temperature just a bit before cutting. Once cut, remove parchment paper, serve or refrigerate until just before serving. Enjoy!
You barely have to melt chocolate if using a microwave. Just stir occasionally—the heat works so fast it’ll do the rest!