Open your mouth, close your eyes and get ready for the best dessert surprise! Our ice cream filled cupcakes have the perfect combination of your favorite party treats—cake, ice cream, icing and sprinkles!
This is not a difficult recipe, but putting the ingredients together will take time and patience. We did, however, cut a few corners by making the cupcakes with a boxed cake mix—three soccer games on Saturday? Case in point!
If you can handle a small ice cream scoop, then the rest is ‘a piece of cake’! You’ll prep the mini ice cream balls then create a small indentation in each cupcake. Once the ice cream balls are placed in the cupcake—bada bing—just top with icing and sprinkles!
Ice cream filled cupcakes recipe
ice cream filled cupcakes recipe
- 1 box cake mix, prepared
- 1 qt ice cream, any flavor
- 2 containers frosting (we used whipped topping icing)
- Prepare cake mix of your choice using instructions for cupcakes. Bake and cool the cupcakes then place cupcakes in freezer.
- Remove ice cream from freezer. Using a small ice cream scoop (the size you would use to make cookies), form the same number of ice cream balls as you have cupcakes. Place ice cream balls on a small platter or baking sheet then immediately return to freezer before they melt. Wash and dry ice cream scoop.
- Remove cupcakes from freezer once they are very firm. Using the same ice cream scoop, make an indentation on the top of each cupcake. Use a small spoon to cut down around the edge of the indentation then scoop out the appropriate amount of cake. Don’t worry if you don’t get it all in one scoop—keep scooping to make sure the hole is the same size as the ice cream ball. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.
- Remove ice cream balls from freezer then work quickly to place into cupcakes. Return the cupcakes to freezer.
- Prepare piping bag with your favorite icing then remove the cupcakes from the freezer—5 or 6 at a time—depending on how fast you can work. Pipe icing on each cupcake then garnish each cupcake with sprinkles. Serve ice cold, unwrapped and on a plate. This is one cupcake that you might need to eat with a spoon!