Creating spring-inspired refreshments like mini low-fat lemon zucchini muffins offers a no-fuss approach to serving dainty pick-up foods.
These little gems are great to whip on a Sunday for the perfect grab-and-go breakfast or snack all week. You can also bring them to your next potluck so all of the guests don’t feel so guilty after a few (or three or four) nibbles when they’re craving something sweet. Makes 4 dozen.
Lemon Zucchini Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 zucchini, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 lemon zest of lemon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Whisk eggs and sugar together; mix in applesauce, buttermilk and lemon juice then add zucchini and lemon zest; mix to just combined.
- Add dry ingredients into batter; do not over mix.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of batter into each mini cupcake round and bake 15–18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- For an easy glaze, mix ¼ cup of powdered sugar, 2 tsp of lemon juice and the zest of 1 lemon. When tops are dry, dust with powdered sugar.
Don't be stuck with the leftovers! Small bites are more likely to get snapped up than food served in larger portions.