We’ve taken our love for mac and cheese to a whole new level. Just wait until you try this mac and cheese beer soup recipe!
Classic elbow macaroni, sharp cheddar cheese, crispy bacon and your favorite beer come together to make the ultimate cold weather dish. With only 20 minutes to prep and 35 minutes to cook, you’ll be serving the family a hearty entrée soup in no time.
For this recipe, we suggest a pale ale or a lager. But don’t hesitate to experiment with your favorite beer flavors. A nut-brown ale would be tasty as well! We had a pale ale on hand when we tested this recipe and we could definitely taste a slight bitter punch. A lager or light lager will provide more mild results.
After 35 minutes on the stove top this is ready to serve! Dish up the goods and sprinkle crispy bacon bits on top. Is your mouth watering yet? If you have a hearty loaf of bread on hand, serve it with the soup. It’s great for sopping up the cheesy leftovers at the bottom of the bowl. Or, serve it in a homemade bread bowl. Yum!
Mac and Cheese Beer Soup Recipe
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, 1/4 cup
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 oz pale ale
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce, we recommend Tabasco
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups half-and-half, or whole milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- bacon, crispy, garnish
- Cook elbow macaroni in plenty of boiling water until soft but still firm. Drain, rinse under cool water and set aside.
- Melt butter in large soup pot over medium heat and add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook until carrots are soft, approx. 10−12 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over vegetables and stir to combine. Cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add chicken broth and beer, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Stir in pepper sauce, salt, Dijon and Worcestershire sauce.
- Allow to come to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in half-and-half and return to simmer.
- Add both cheeses 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to melt after each addition. Once cheese is incorporated, keep soup warm and do not allow to boil. Add macaroni to soup and stir to combine. Serve hot and enjoy!
Potatoes would be a great addition to this already fantastic soup!