We’ve really spiced up the tired chicken dinner routine with our recipe for Mexico City-style one pan chicken! Flavorful chicken, spicy jalapeños, zesty green tomatillo sauce and crisp, aromatic cilantro come together to make a dish that is as tasty as it is beautiful.
Serve these little beauties on a bed of rice or quinoa and top with a blanket of this yummy sauce! You can also eat them alone if you’re watching your carb intake. Either way, this recipe is a fiesta for your taste buds.
For exceptional flavor, we chose to make this recipe using boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but trust us–once you try this recipe you’ll never go back to breasts again. Olé!
Mexico City-style one pan chicken video
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup green tomatillo sauce
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- for garnish
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 2 jalapeños, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 3 cups rice, or quinoa, cooked
- In a large skillet heat 2 Tbsp oil until it shimmers over medium-high heat. Season the chicken and brown on each side for five minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and heat until shimmering. Sauté the onion, celery and carrot until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir into the mixture. Cook the flour for 1 minute then add chicken broth. Whisk to combine. Scrape the bits (the fond) from bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Nestle the chicken evenly throughout the pan. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and very tender. 5 minutes before serving, stir in the green tomatillo sauce and sprinkle with cilantro and red pepper flakes.
- While the chicken is simmering, place the optional garnish ingredients in individual small bowls.
- To serve, place chicken and quinoa on a plate and garnish as you like.
We used green tomatillo salsa but you could try it with our spicy homemade salsa too!