We’re not going to lie, it takes a little talent and some special tools to make this mini onesie baby shower cake recipe exactly. But the fun results speak for themselves.
Plus, you can always cheat and replace the fondant with colored frosting for a less polished, but equally adorable look.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Mini onesie baby shower cakes recipe
- 2 packages white cake mix, plus ingredients needed for mix
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- cookie cutters, onesie
- frosting, for crumb coating, homemade or purchased
- food coloring, blue
- decorating tools
- powdered sugar
- Mix cake following box instructions and bake in two 12" square cake pans; let cakes cool completely.
- Cut out onesie shapes with cookie cutter and place in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Make frosting by beating powdered sugar, butter, vanilla extract and milk until completely smooth, scraping down sides of bowl often (you can purchase icing to save time).
- Ice cake with "crumb coat" by applying thin layer of frosting evenly over cakes
- place in freezer for 15-30 minutes; add second layer of frosting and harden cakes in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Color fondant with food coloring, adding in small increments until desired color is achieved.
- Roll out about 1 cup of fondant to ¼" thick on counter lightly dusted with powdered sugar.
- Drape over cake and trim around edges with pizza cutter; repeat with each cake.
- Detail cakes with fondant utensils.
- Use small end of piping bag tip to make rings for buttons.
Simply switch out your food color to make pretty-in-pink baby girl onesies.