Devil’s food cake topped with peanut butter mousse frosting and dipped in chocolate glaze is a mouthwatering combination! Whip up a batch of chocolate and peanut butter hi-hat cupcakes for your next celebration—they’re elegant, delicious and you’ll receive tons of compliments on what an amazing baker you are.
We’re not going to lie…creating two different toppings for this dessert is a little extra work, but we promise, when you see your loved ones put the entire cupcake in their mouths at once, you’ll know the effort was worth it.
The secret to making the “hi-hats” is to mix up the peanut butter frosting and whip until light and fluffy like a mousse—about 3-4 minutes. Don’t forget to lick the whip after you remove it! Generously pipe or spread the frosting onto each cupcake and put them in the freezer for 15–20 minutes to set.
While the cupcakes with fluffy frosting are firming up in the freezer, make the chocolate glaze following the instructions below. When the glaze is ready, remove the cupcakes from the freezer then dip or spoon the chocolate glaze over the peanut butter frosting to coat. Let the glaze set about 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, be sure to lick the leftover chocolate glaze from the bowl prior to rinsing.
Serve immediately! We enjoyed ours with an extra large glass of ice-cold milk. Yum!
Peanut Butter Hi-Hat Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, 12 Tbsp
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp corn syrup
- To make the cupcakes, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place cupcake liners in muffin tin, set aside.
- Sift dry ingredients (first 6 ingredients) into medium mixing bowl then add oil, milk, eggs and vanilla and stir until completely incorporated.
- Add boiling water and carefully mix until combined (batter will be thin). Fill baking cups ⅔ full and bake 12−15 minutes until centers are firm. Remove from oven, let cool completely
- To make frosting, place butter, peanut butter, vanilla and salt in mixing bowl and beat on medium-low speed until combined. Reduce mixer to low speed and beat in powdered sugar. Add heavy cream and continue beating on low speed until completely combined.
- Once cream is incorporated, turn mixer to high and whip until light and fluffy (3−4 minutes).
- Generously pipe or spread frosting on each cupcake and place cupcakes in freezer to set frosting (15−20 minutes).
- To make the glaze, chop or break chocolate into small pieces and place in medium bowl corn syrup.
- Heat cream in microwave until boiling and immediately pour cream over chocolate. Let sit 30 seconds and stir chocolate slowly to combine.
- Remove cupcakes from freezer and dip or spoon glaze over peanut butter frosting to coat. Let glaze to set 5−10 minutes then enjoy!
Garnish the tops of your cupcakes with crushed peanuts or sprinkles for a little extra flair!