It’s time to round up all the sun-dried tomato lovers out there! This pesto and sun-dried tomato chickpea salad recipe is easy to make, healthy—and goodness gracious, it’s delicious!
The most difficult attribute to this recipe is pressing the button on the food processor—seriously. No food processor? Don’t trip—a blender will work just fine! Combine all the ingredients in a bowl then ta-da! You’re ready to eat.
This salad is a winner all by itself, but it’s also a home run with grilled chicken. If you’re really feeling inspired, wrap your chickpea salad and grilled chicken in a tortilla with some leafy greens and you’ve got a simple lunch or dinner that’s out of this world!
sun-dried tomato chicken salad recipe
- 7 oz jar sun-dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, pecans or walnuts, toasted
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp red onion, finely diced
- Parmesan shavings
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a food processor, blend the sun-dried tomatoes (including their oil), garlic and basil until it forms a paste. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl then stir in ¼ cup of Parmesan and set aside.
- Drain, rinse and allow chickpeas to dry then transfer to the mixing bowl with the pesto.
- If you’re adding nuts, toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat, tossing frequently. The nuts are toasted perfectly once you can just smell their aroma. Transfer to a plate to cool before adding them to the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Add lemon juice and red onion to the chickpeas and pesto mixture then stir until completely combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper then garnish with shaved Parmesan. This dish is best served at room temperature or slightly warm. Enjoy!
Season your salad after the ingredients are combined. The Parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes are salty—you may not want to add more!