This sausage kale and quinoa soup recipe yields big (no—HUGE) flavor! Instead of using standard pasta or potato in this Italian-inspired soup, we opted for quinoa. It’s filling and nutritious.
Control the heat by using a mild- to medium-hot Italian sausage then spice it up using crushed red pepper. The sausage tends to intensify during the cooking process, and the crushed red pepper allows you to add heat rather than getting stuck with a dish that’s too spicy to enjoy.
Our sausage, kale and quinoa soup tastes great with rustic bread and is superb on day two!
Sausage, Kale and Quinoa Soup Recipe
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage, mild or hot
- 2 small strips bacon, chopped(optional)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 bunch kale, deveined and torn into 1" pieces
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- salt, or chicken bouillon to taste
- black pepper, or red pepper flakes to taste
- Place soup pot over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage and bacon then brown until cooked completely through, about 6–8 minutes. Drain as much grease as possible then return to stove and reduce heat to medium.
- Add diced onion and cook for about 4–5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic then cook 1 additional minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. When the broth comes to a boil, add uncooked quinoa then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Stir in kale and let it simmer in the soup until it reaches desired tenderness—5 minutes for crisp-tender or about 5–10 minutes longer for softer kale.
- Stir in heavy cream, season to taste with salt (or chicken bouillon) and pepper of choice and serve.
You can use the standard curly kale or Tuscan kale, sometimes labeled as Cavolo Nero!