For this chicken teriyaki recipe, we started with a little over 2½ pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs. After trimming the meat, we had 2 pounds of chicken—so make sure to buy a little more than what’s called for in this recipe.
There really is nothing to the prep—simply place the chicken inside the slow cooker, add the seasonings then set it on low for 4 hours. This leaves you plenty of time to run errands, tend to the house or get the kids to all their after-school activities!
When it comes time to serve dinner, you can whip up the sauce in a matter of minutes then serve over a bed of rice. This recipe is so versatile; you can also use our slow cooker chicken teriyaki in lettuce wraps or in a salad.
slow cooker chicken teriyaki recipe
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Place boneless skinless chicken thighs in slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and pepper then stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour sauce over chicken in slow cooker. Cover then cook on low for 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, transfer chicken from slow cooker to a platter. You may slice, shred or leave the chicken pieces whole. Strain sauce into a medium-sized saucepan.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water then whisk into sauce. Place pan over medium-high heat then bring to a boil. Let sauce bubble for 1 minute then remove from heat. Pour or spoon sauce over chicken, sprinkle with sliced green onions and serve.
The long slow-cooking process really absorbs the flavor in the meat—and the chicken is so tender!