It’s not every day you see a salad that makes good use of cherries. Our spinach salad with cherry balsamic vinaigrette is surprisingly delicious.
Salty, sweet, tart…creamy and crunchy. It’s everything you want it to be! The salad is super easy to make and the unique balsamic reduction brings in a lot of flavor. Friends and family will get in line for seconds – trust us.
And did we mention how healthy cherries are? These sweet little baubles are absolutely packed with fiber and vitamin C, and can help with everything from inflammation to brainpower. Cherries have even been shown to help prevent disease.
Tasty and good for you, this salad is a total win-win.
light spinach salad recipe
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cherries, pitted and halved
- 6 oz bag baby spinach
- 1 - 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup cherries, pitted (for salad)
- olive oil
- salt, to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil over medium heat. When the mixture starts to bubble, add ½ cup fresh cherries and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the mixture has thickened and reached a syrupy stage, stirring frequently, for about 6–8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Divide baby spinach equally onto 4 plates. Top with dollops of goat cheese and a scattering of thinly sliced red onion.
- Drizzle the salads with the cherry balsamic reduction then with extra virgin olive oil. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Sprinkle toasted pecans on this salad for a nice added crunch.