Was the last chocolate cake you made a little on the dry side? This super moist chocolate cake recipe eliminates that problem forever! Sifting the dry ingredients together will help create a light, out of this world texture.
We used applesauce to make this chocolate cake super, extra moist. And as an added bonus, it’s lower in fat, too. For once you can put aside the guilt and dig in!
Our chocolate cake uses cocoa and buttermilk for a rich flavor that stands out. If you like it extra sweet and even more decadent, finish it off with our fluffy boiled icing. Either way, this is one recipe you’ll keep in the family for sure!
Super Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk, thickened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 fluffy boiled icing recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil and flour cake pans and set aside.
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Beat in eggs, buttermilk, butter and vanilla the stir in applesauce.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cakes cool completely. Unmold cakes and trim tops to make them even.
- Make fluffy boiled icing according to the recipe.
- Ice cake and serve!
Don’t know how to thicken buttermilk? Simply let it set it out at room temperature for an hour. How easy is that?