Framed chicken wire display
Looking for an unusual way to keep necessary items like lists, recipes and keys at your fingertips? We’ll show you how to make a framed chicken wire display that’s quick, easy to do and better yet—easy on the budget.
Chicken wire is very inexpensive and serves many purposes so don’t think you’re wasting your money on a roll of it when you only need a small amount for this particular project. Chicken wire isn’t only good for keeping unwanted critters out of your garden or flowerbeds—it’s also great for organizers and wire décor.
This display is easily personalized with wood letters. We kept ours natural to go along with the rustic look of our wood, but feel free to paint them to match your décor.
Personalizing makes it the perfect gift too. Mom can hang shopping lists, youngsters’ artwork, or that never-ending ‘honey-do’ list. Recent grads going away to college can show off photos of their best buds to their new roomies. Add assignments (or more likely, party invites) and their first semester is sure to be a success.
- 4 − 4″ x 24″ x ¼” balsa wood boards
- acrylic craft paint
- coarse sandpaper
- measuring tape
- 24″ wide roll of chicken wire (you’ll need enough length to make it 24″ long)
- wire cutters
- 8 − 3/8″ long screws
- hot glue and gun
- wood letters
- 3 cup hooks
- hanging hardware, twine or rope
- mini clothes pins
- Start by painting one side of each board with acrylic craft paint in the color of your choice. Allow the paint to dry then sand the edges for a rustic look and set aside.
- Carefully measure and cut a 24″ x 24″ piece of chicken wire using wire cutters. Be careful of the jagged edges! You may want to use gloves.
- Next lay down one board, painted side down, line up one side of chicken wire on top of the board. Then place a second board, painted side up, on top of the chicken wire, holding it in place between the two boards (this will be the top frame of your display). To secure, screw into place using one screw in each corner.
- Repeat this process using the other two boards on the bottom of your chicken wire.
- Hot glue letters to the top spelling out ‘family’ or your family name, Mom, Dad, whatever you want. Then screw cup hooks into the top board (or wherever you want) for hanging keys, etc…
- Attach hanging hardware, twine or rope and hang on your wall.
- Use mini clothespins to hang recipe cards, family photos, notes, bills and more.