Fill your DIY fabric owls using polyester filling, dry beans or a mixture of both—it depends on how the DIY owls are going to be used. If you’re going for a decorative look, the dry beans will help the owls stand upright. If they’re being made as stuffed animals for kids however, you’ll just want to use polyester stuffing and substitute felt for the button eyes.
Want to make owls of various sizes? Use larger paper and adjust your computer settings accordingly when printing the template.
- [url href=”http://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/diy-fabric-owls-cherylstyle-pattern.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Everyday Dishes & DIY DIY Fabric Owl Template”]Everyday Dishes & DIY DIY Fabric Owl Template[/url]
- 1 – 8″ x 8″ patterned fabric scrap
- 1 – 8″ x 8″ solid fabric scrap
- 1 – 1½” yellow fabric scrap
- straight pins (optional)
- embroidery thread and needle
- fabric glue
- 2 buttons
- polyester filling or dry beans
- Download the [url href=”http://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/diy-fabric-owls-cherylstyle-pattern.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Everyday Dishes & DIY DIY Fabric Owl Template”]Everyday Dishes & DIY DIY Fabric Owl Template[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url].
- Print and cut out where indicated using scissors. Align pattern pieces on fabric, securing with pins if necessary, and cut out.
- Using embroidery thread and needle, sew the front and back pieces of the owl together using a simple stitch, leaving the bottom open.
- Face the back of the owl towards you, place the beak at the top and adhere using fabric glue. Flip the body over then sew buttons on as “eyes.” Fold the fabric over as indicated on the printable then glue in place. Stitch the round “tummy” onto the front of the owl, just below the buttons.
- Fill the body with stuffing or dry beans then stitch around the circumference of the base. Once you have come full circle, pull the thread tightly, knot and voila! You have a cute baby owl.