DIY Key Holder
Wouldn’t it be nice to keep that spare set of keys to your house or car handy? Here’s a DIY key holder that’s really cute and you won’t find it anywhere else. There’s even a birdie keychain to match!
This is a great chance to use up those little pieces of scrapbook paper you’ve been hoarding and you can find a miniature birdhouse and jewelry findings at your local craft store.
Placed on a shelf close to your door, it becomes a decorative reminder to return keys where they belong. Because it’s small, it’s meant to hold only a few keys like those for your mailbox or gate or a spare house key for guests.
DIY key holder instructions
DIY Key Holder Instructions
- small wooden birdhouse
- precision knife
- scrapbook paper
- decoupage glue and brush
- small plastic bird
- acrylic paint
- drill and 1/16″ bit
- head pin, 2″ or longer
- beads (optional)
- jewelry pliers
- jump ring
- key ring
- cup hook
- Using a precision knife, trim different patterns of scrapbook paper to fit the sides and roof of the birdhouse. Adhere with decoupage glue and allow it to dry.
- Paint the plastic bird with acrylic paint and allow it to dry.
- Starting at the top of the bird’s body, drill a small hole all the way through the bottom. Feed the head pin through the plastic bird, add beads if desired, then make a loop on each end with jewelry pliers.
- Attach a jump ring to the key ring.
- Twist a cup hook into the front of the birdhouse and hang up your keys.
You can paint each side of your birdhouse a different color if you don’t want to use scrapbook paper.