No-sew DIY pencil case
Be original when it comes to school supplies! Send your student off with a cool-looking DIY pencil case that’s one of a kind and easy to make. What’s the best part? No sewing required!
Sift through your scrap fabrics or splurge on material you think your little one would like. You don’t need much so it won’t break the bank. You’ll want to get fabric glue and a zipper if you don’t already have some.
For more versatility, you can adjust the size of the case to accommodate larger items by getting a little more material and a longer zipper. There are different types and sizes of zippers so make the right choice—we used a closed end non-separating one with small teeth.
When instructions call for a certain length zipper, you might question exactly how it’s measured. Simply measure from one end stop to the other rather than the actual material on which the zipper is placed.
- fabric, cut to 11″ x 15″
- fabric glue
- 8″ zipper
- binder clips
- Place fabric face down on a flat surface. Fold over one edge approximately ¼” and iron in place. Apply fabric glue between the fold and press into place. Repeat with the remaining 3 sides then allow them to dry.
- Next, place zipper right side up and lengthwise down the middle of the fabric. Apply glue along both edges of the zipper. Fold the longer sides of the fabric, one at a time, to the center and press to adhere to the seam of zipper. Allow them to dry.
- Once dry, adjust your zipper to sit at the top of the case.
- Fold sides of one end inward to form a finished edge. Apply glue between the 2 seams then press together. Use binder clips to clamp seams in place then repeat on the opposite side. Allow them to dry.
- Fill your case with pencils and carry in your backpack!