Turn any party into a masquerade ball with these decorated Mardi Gras mask cookies decked out in traditional colors and metallic beads.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Mardi Gras mask cookies recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- cookie cutter, Mardi Gras mask
- disco dust, a.k.a. edible glitter, gold
- dragees, a.k.a. edible balls, gold and silver
- royal icing
- 1 large egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- food coloring, purple, gold, green and black
- Cream sugar, butter, vanilla and egg until light and fluffy. Stir in remaining ingredients until dough forms. Place dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll out to ¼" thickness and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place dough on lightly floured surface and cut dough with mask cookie cutter. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned and let cool.
- To make the icing, beat egg whites and lemon with hand mixer. Reduce mixing speed to low and add powdered sugar until combined and smooth.
- Separate into 4 bowls and color icing with purple, gold, green and black food coloring. Spread base coat of icing on cookie; use black icing to outline eyes and outside of the mask. Place dragees around mask and sprinkle with disco dust. Let icing set then place on platter for sharing!
Celebrate in true Mardi Gras style with these stunning sugar cookies.