Our monster apple snacks were initially intended as fun Halloween-inspired refreshments, however we think these little guys are sweet treats for the kids all year long! They couldn’t be easier to prepare and frankly, we made a bit of a spectacle in the test kitchen experimenting with all the different monster faces.
If we had that much fun throwing these together, we’re pretty confident that you can make assembly a riotous family affair. It’s a great opportunity for the kids to use their imagination and, at the same time, create awesome memories in the kitchen.
Quick and Easy Apple Monster Snacks Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- 1 large carrot
- almond butter
- almonds sliced
- pretzel sticks
- candy googly eyes
let's do it
- Squeeze juice from the lemon into a large bowl and add enough water to cover the apples. Cut each apple into quarters and scoop out the seeds from each. Place each slice in lemon water to prevent browning.
- Peel the carrot. Using the peeler, shave strips of carrot. You will need 8 shaved pieces of carrot to create the tongue of the monster. Set aside.
- Place one slice of apple in front of you and cut parallel to the work surface into the apple about 1". Now cut straight down to meet this cut and remove the wedge. You have just created the mouth of your monster. Fill the mouth with almond butter.
- Stick a carrot tongue into the bottom of the mouth. Take almond slices and give the monster teeth.
- Use a paring knife to make a hole where you would like to place eyes. Cut the pretzel stick to length and insert into the hole. Place a dab of almond butter on the end of the stick and glue a googly eye onto the end of each stick.
One Last Thing