We’ve tweaked the traditional Manhattan cocktail recipe to add a burst of orange flavor from a shot of Cointreau and a dash of orange bitters—and it’s so good!
This beverage is traditionally pretty strong, so to mellow out the alcohol, try adding more lemon lime soda depending on your taste buds. Test kitchen results encouraged us to add more, which contributed to a smoother sipping experience.
Be warned—too much maraschino cherry juice, sweet vermouth and orange bitters will ruin the drink! When we say use a dash, a dash is precisely what we mean. Both ingredients are highly concentrated, which is why a little goes a long, long way.
While the ol’ bar book insists that the standard way to serve this drink is in a martini glass, it’s perfectly chic to serve it on the rocks. Garnish with a maraschino cherry then put your dancin’ shoes on!
smooth orange manhattan cocktail recipe
- cocktail shaker
- 1 dash sweet vermouth
- 1.5 oz bourbon whiskey
- 1.5 oz Cointreau liqueur
- 2 oz lemon lime soda
- dash orange bitters
- dash maraschino cherry juice
- 1 maraschino cherry, to garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice then add sweet vermouth, bourbon whiskey, Cointreau, lemon lime soda, orange bitters and maraschino cherry juice.
- Shake cocktail shaker vigorously then put the shaker in the freezer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove cocktail shaker from the freezer, strain mixture into a martini glass then garnish with a maraschino cherry.
- Serve and enjoy!
Use your bourbon whiskey in other drinks like the Old Fashioned, whiskey sours and mint juleps.