As much as we love our cold weather cocktails, once in a while it’s fun to exchange the traditional Irish coffee for something with a little more pizzazz. That’s precisely why we invented our salted caramel hot chocolate cocktail recipe. Come fall and winter, it’s the sugar and spice and everything nice of adult beverages.
We don’t always like to use flavored liquors in our cocktail recipes because we don’t want our fans to have to buy something they wouldn’t normally keep in the liquor cabinet. However, salted caramel vodka is just too good to pass up, and we’re confident you and your pals will polish off the bottle by spring. If you prefer, though, you can always purchase non-alcoholic caramel-flavored syrup, which can be used in anything from your hot chocolate cocktail to your regular morning coffee.
For the toppings, you can go plain Jane or get ultra-creative. Whipped cream, graham cracker crumbs, vanilla wafers, mini marshmallows or sprinkles are all divine. You can also add hot fudge or caramel sauce, chopped nuts and maraschino cherries!
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Cocktail Video
- 2 cups milk
- 2 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 pinch sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3 oz caramel-flavored vodka
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- whipped cream, for garnish if desired, dairy or dairy-free
- caramel syrup, if desired
- hot fudge sauce, if desired
- miniature chocolate chips, for garnish if desired
- Place small saucepan over medium heat. Add milk and bring just to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Add chopped dark chocolate and salt. Stir until all the chocolate has melted and the mixture has thickened. Add more salt to taste if needed.
- When chocolate has melted, stir in caramel-flavored vodka and heavy cream. Pour into mugs, top with whipped cream, hot fudge sauce, caramel sauce and mini chocolate chips, if desired, then serve immediately!
If you think your cocktail needs a little more salt, wait till you add the vodka to make the final verdict!