Once you see how easy it is to make homemade whipped cream, you’ll wonder why you haven’t made it before!
First, use cream that’s very, very cold to make it easier to beat. To avoid splattering it everywhere, turn your mixer on medium until it starts to thicken then crank that baby up.
The key to getting the desired consistency is to test it often. Just don’t go crazy and beat it too long or you’ll end up with a bowl of butter!
Lactose intolerant? Make a delicious vegan coconut whipped cream instead!
Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 pint whipping cream or heavy cream, very cold
- 1/4 cup sugar granulated or powdered
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract optional
let's do it
- Place all ingredients in large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir gently until sugar is completely dissolved then beat on medium speed until the cream has begun to thicken.
- Once the cream has begun to thicken, increase speed to high and beat to desired consistency. Test the consistency as often as necessary by stopping the mixer and pulling the beater straight up out of the whipped cream. For a soft whip, the cream will form a peak but the tip will soon fall over gently. For more firm whipped cream, whip just a bit longer then test. The cream will form a well-defined peak and easily retain its form after the beater has been removed. For most desserts, whipped cream beaten to medium or stiff peaks will be perfect.
- Spread on cakes or add a dollop to your favorite fruit or sundae and enjoy!