There’s nothing fun about baking if your cookies are a headache to make! These Easter chick cookies are sweet and simple. You’ll love them.
You could make your life even easier by using pre-made pale yellow iced sugar cookies. They’re readily available in grocery stores throughout the spring and around the Easter holiday. Take some home and make these cookies in minutes!
The black gel icing you’ll need for the chicks’ eyes is found in the baking aisle near the birthday candles and cake mix. Starburst minis should be easy to find, too. We spotted them in the candy aisle and in the checkout display.
Easter chick cookies recipe
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 container vanilla frosting, pre-made
- 2 - 3 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 bag Starburst minis
- 1 tube black gel icing
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add vanilla, salt and egg, and stir until completely smooth and well combined.
- Sift flour and baking powder over wet ingredients and stir until smooth dough forms. Transfer dough to a sheet of plastic wrap and flatten into a round disc. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least an hour until firm and well-chilled.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out dough to a width of about ¼" on a lightly floured surface. Cut cookies using a 2" round cookie cutter and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Collect any scraps and re-roll or wrap and freeze additional dough for up to a month.
- Bake cookies for 6–8 minutes or until just barely firm in center. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow cookies to come to room temperature. Meanwhile, stir yellow food coloring into pre-made frosting until you achieve desired shade.
- Frost each of the cookies generously with yellow icing. Make a swoop of icing along edge of cookie to form top of chick’s head. Use a butter knife to press or cut orange-colored Starburst minis on the diagonal most of the way through. Fold candy back onto itself at the cut and form into a beak. Place beak in position and then make 2 dots of black gel icing to form eyes. Stand back and admire your work quickly before they are all devoured!
This is a quick and simple cookie recipe—get the kids involved in the fun decorating!