There always seems to be an abundance of gingerbread man cookies during the holidays. Why not try something different this season and jazz up a mug of coffee or cocoa with a bite size treat? Our star shaped gingerbread cookie recipe is just the right twist on a classic cookie.
Cinnamon, ginger, cloves and molasses deliver that rich, spicy taste but we added candied ginger to tie in the flavors. It’s usually found in the dried fruit aisle of local grocery stores—if you don’t see it just ask.
It only takes a few minutes to mix the ingredients and form the dough. Chill the dough in the fridge for an hour or so while you catch up on some “me” time, chase after the kids, do the laundry, or grab a glass of wine.
When the dough is chilled, roll it onto a floured surface and get ready to cut out the cookies. We found an adorable cookie cutter at Cost Plus World Market that not only cuts out a star shape, but includes a notch so you can adorn any of your holiday drinks with these cookies. After you’ve cut the star shapes out, place them on a cookie sheet, put them in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
Our dainty star-shaped gingerbread cookie is just the right size for snacking and makes an awesome presentation.
Star-Shaped Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp ginger, chopped, candied
- cookie cutter, star side-of-the-cup cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses until combined.
- Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together until smooth dough forms then wrap and chill dough for about 1 hour.
- Roll dough on floured surface to ¼" thickness then cut out dough using the cookie cutter.
- Place cutouts on greased cookie sheet, 2" apart and bake 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly then move from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
- Once cooled, place on rim of mug or glass to garnish eggnog, hot cocoa or any holiday drink.
Did you know organic candied ginger is available and is gluten-free?