Enjoy all the flavors of sunrise in one great-tasting dish—our overnight breakfast casserole recipe doesn’t just feed the crowd—it’ll feed your soul, too! Breakfast sausage, onion, bell peppers, hash browns, egg and cheese…is your mouth watering yet?
As the name of this casserole implies, it’s prepared the night before then placed in the refrigerator until you’re ready to pop it in the oven. This is especially helpful when you have a house full of people for the holidays or special occasions.
If you like a little spice, add diced green chiles and swap the cheddar for pepper Jack if you want the heat to come from the inside. Otherwise, serve with red pepper flakes and hot sauce on the side. And while we’re on the topic of adding and substituting flavors—swap the sausage for ham, bacon or extra veggies. Yeehaw!
Overnight Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 30 oz bag hash browns, still frozen
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat then add the sausage. Cook sausage about 10 minutes, breaking up the meat into pieces with a spoon, until no pink remains.
- Add onions and bell pepper and cook an additional 3–4 minutes then add garlic, remove from heat and set aside.
- Crack all 12 eggs into a large mixing bowl then beat until uniformly yellow in color. Add milk, salt and pepper then stir to combine. Add the reserved sausage mixture, entire bag of frozen hash browns and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Stir until well combined
- Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray then add egg mixture. Spread into an even layer then sprinkle remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese over the top. Cover dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, remove casserole from the refrigerator, uncover and allow the casserole to sit at room temperature while oven preheats. Bake 40–50 minutes until center is firm. Remove pan to a wire rack and cool 10 minutes before serving.
We like breakfast any time of day! This casserole also makes a great brunch, lunch or dinner.