Nothing says “I love you” more than a homemade gift. Make it a crafternoon with super simple instructions for a DIY felt coin purse this Valentine’s Day.
You can make these personalized coin purses for your kids or craft them as a family. Either way, this activity is fun, easy and inexpensive!
All the sewing this craft requires is a blanket stitch around the edges of the heart, starting at the bottom point and working your way around until you reach where you started. If you’ve never sewn a blanket stitch before, watch our video for simple instructions.
Now the real fun begins! Decorate your freshly stitched coin purse with fun embellishments. Your local craft store should have all kinds of festive decorations—we used felt owls and lovebirds!
Our DIY coin purse is all about the little details. Hot glue small strips of ribbon around the opening of the coin purse to prevent fraying or cut a heart shape out of wide ribbon to make a flap and secure with hot glue.
Fill coin purses with loose change, love notes, candy or other small treats. Enjoy!
DIY felt coin purse instructions
- DIY felt coin purse printable
- ink pen
- 9′ x 12′ felt squares, assorted colors
- embroidery floss, assorted colors
- embroidery needle
- X-acto knife
- hot glue gun
- ribbon scraps
- embellishments of your choice
- Download the [url href=”http://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DIY-felt-coin-purse-cherylstyle-cheryl-najafi-template.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”DIY Felt Coin Purse”]DIY felt coin purse printable[/url] and open it in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url].
- Cut out patterns and trace front and back pattern onto felt square.
- Cut out felt heart shapes.
- On back felt heart piece, cut along line with X-acto knife to make opening.
- Thread embroidery needle with embroidery thread.
- Stack heart shapes.
- Start at bottom point of heart and blanket stitch around edges until fully stitched (if you’ve never sewn a blanket stitch before, [url href=”http://everydaydishes.com/creative-crafts/how-to-sew-a-blanket-stitch-diy/” target=”_blank” title=”Blanket Stitch Video”]watch our video[/url]–it’s much easier than you think!).
- Embellish coin purse with ribbon, sequins, felt designs, etc… using hot glue.