Glass frame sign
This easy DIY wall decor craft replicates those you find in stores. Paint, sandpaper and vinyl letters make a super cute glass frame sign you can personalize.
Take an old frame that still has the glass intact and turn it into a sign for your kitchen or bar area. If you can’t part with any of your frames, you can purchase an unfinished one for about $5. An undercoat of brown paint or varnish, topped with white paint and sanded will produce the same antique look found in stores.
Vinyl letters are perfect for spelling out your message. They’re easier to use, less messy than stencils and are repositionable! Besides, you can peel them off and replace them with another saying down the road.
DIY wall decor
- picture frame
- brown paint or brown varnish
- white paint
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PZZW9K/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004PZZW9K&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”Coarse Grit Sandpaper”]coarse grit sandpaper[/url]
- vinyl letters (we used [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006ICKF/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00006ICKF&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”2″ Black Vinyl Letters”]2″[/url] & [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HW8ZC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0006HW8ZC&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”4″ Black Vinyl Letters”]4″[/url] Helvetica)
- wire or chain
- If you’re using an old frame, use brown paint to cover the entire frame. If you’re using an unfinished frame as we did, apply brown varnish then allow it to dry.
- Once dry, apply white paint over the paint or varnish and allow it dry.
- Get your sandpaper and begin to sand the edges to give it that antique look—we even used a hammer to make indentions and scraped off some of the paint.
- Apply vinyl letters, attach eyehooks and a chain to the top of your frame then hang!
If you’re a perfectionist, and want your letters to be perfectly straight, use a piece of painter’s tape to make a straight line to guide you.